Denstu will not have to return the $18 million it withdrew from a bank account it shared with Woodstock 50, a New York Supreme Court justice ruled Wednesday (May 15). More »
As Woodstock 50 implodes in slow motion with delusional flair, Billboard has a new report on questionable decisions by co-founder Michael Lang that appear to have led to the current situation. To recount: the festival’s primary investor Dentsu and production company Superfly have both pulled out, and Lang, who maintains Woodstock … More »
After doubling down on Woodstock 50 and doing a media blitz with half-a-dozen publications, Woodstock co-founder Michael Lang now has until Friday to raise the money needed to produce the anniversary festival in upstate New York, sources tell Billboard. More »
On Monday, it was announced that Woodstock 50 was cancelled. In a statement released by the Dentsu Aegis Network — a financial backer of the festival — they said that they didn’t “believe the production of the festival can be executed as an event worthy of the Woodstock Brand name.” … More »
Woodstock 50 will go on as scheduled, despite the departure of one of its core financial partners, according to a recent statement from the festival’s co-founder, Michael Lang.
Earlier this week, Tim O’Hearn, an administrator of the festival’s chosen location, Schuyler County, New York, reported Woodstock 50’s alleged cancellation to NPR after the event’s central investors at Dentsu Aegis Network contacted him to confirm their withdrawal.
However, Lang maintains that the festival has not been cancelled, and is actively working to secure new investors.
“Although our financial partner is withdrawing, we will of course be continuing with the planning of the festival and intend to bring on new partners,” said Lang. “The bottom line is, there is going to be a Woodstock 50th Anniversary Festival, as there must be, and it’s going to be a blast.”
Dentsu Aegis Network’s Amplifi Live released a somewhat broad statement of their own, attributing their exit to their belief that the festival would not materialize as “an event worthy of the Woodstock Brand name while also ensuring the health and safety of the artists, partners and attendees.”
The commemorative 50th anniversary affair is slated for August 16-18 in Watkins Glen, New York. The festival’s confirmed headlining roster, Jay-Z, Halsey, and Miley Cyrus, received varied feedback as to whether or not the lineup encapsulates the spirit of the original 1969 induction, which featured performances from Jimi Hendrix, The Grateful Dead, and The Who, to name a few. While the anniversary lineup is certainly a contemporary interpretation of the storied, four-day frenzy, the organizers did manage to extend notable nods to their predecessors in securing Dead & Company (consisting of multiple former members of The Grateful Dead), as well as a slew of contemporary rock outfits including The Black Keys and The Killers.
Just days before financial supporters of Woodstock 50 announced the festival was being cancelled, the main backers of the anniversary concert made a last-ditch effort to bring on another experienced festival operator with the capital and expertise needed to fix the deeply troubled event, Billboard has learned. Hoping to save the festival, organizers were planning … More »
Call it—Woodstock 50 is dead before it even got off the ground.
The briefly-revived festival, meant to mark the 50th anniversary of the iconic Woodstock event that took place in Bethel, New York, has officially been cancelled by organizers, shortly after online ticket sales failed to launch. Fears of a cancellation have been looming ever since ticket sales failed to launch and payments to participating artists were stalled.
The billing was set to include JAY-Z, Chance the Rapper, Dead and Company, The Black Keys, Halsey, and more. In the days leading up to the official cancellation of the event, the Black Keys pulled out of their performance due to “scheduling conflicts,” though now it seems like their move was a foreboding red flag.
Speaking to Billboard, a spokesperson from Dentsu Aegis Network, which funded Woodstock 50, said in a statement,
“Despite our tremendous investment of time, effort and commitment, we don’t believe the production of the festival can be executed as an event worthy of the Woodstock Brand name while also ensuring the health and safety of the artists, partners and attendees.”
Stay tuned as the story develops.
Woodstock 50 has been cancelled. Rumors swirled about the festival being cancelled earlier this month after the date that tickets were supposed to go on sale had been postponed, but as of last week organizers were adamant that it would continue. But, as Billboard reports, a statement from festival … More »