Look: Jimmy Fallon gets corny. We all know this. Nobody would argue. If you can make it through an entire episode of The Tonight Show, you are a person with an iron sense of will and self-assurance. (Or maybe you’re also a cornball.) But it’s also entirely possible that no late-night host in history has … More »
It’s finally here. It’s been quite a journey. Joyride, Tinashe’s long-awaited, much-delayed follow-up to her excellent 2014 debut Aquarius, was first announced all the way back in September 2015. Then 2015 turned to 2016 and 2016 turned to 2017 and still no Joyride. Instead, all we got was a string of false-start singles and a … More »
This is a big week for R&B. That’s true first of all in a statistical sense: The Weeknd’s new EP, My Dear Melancholy, just put up 169,000 equivalent album units in its first week — the biggest total for an R&B release since late 2016 (when, uh, the last Weeknd album came out). We … More »
After nearly three years of unsuccessful singles and false starts, Joyride is finally on its way. Tinashe’s follow-up to her impressive 2014 debut Aquarius is arriving in just a couple of weeks, and we’ve already gotten two promising singles, the Offset collab “No Drama” and the Future collab “Faded Love.” And now … More »
We’ve been waiting a long, long time for Joyride, Tinashe’s endlessly-delayed follow-up to her excellent 2014 debut Aquarius. She first announced the album way the hell back in September 2015 — that’s over two years ago — and since then, we’ve gotten a string of underperforming singles and an entire companion mixtape, … More »
Last week, Tinashe released a new song — the Future-featuring “Faded Love” — in what will hopefully actually be the rollout to her much-delayed sophomore album, and last night she revealed the video for the track. It’s shot vertical iPhone-style and follows Tinashe as she dances alone in what looks like an abandoned warehouse … More »
Notes on this week’s popular music efforts:
- Following last week’s excellent Monsters it’s two-for-two in the whole ‘Saara Aalto gradually unveils the three songs she’s putting forward for Eurovision’ escapade. This one’s a simile-strewn semiballad about a wrecking ball hitting a domino, although surely the whole thing about the ‘falling like a domino’ image is that dominos famously fall quite easily and therefore wouldn’t require heavy duty shoving equipment?
- The week’s best song comes from Kim Petras, who officially hit superstar status on January 25 with the release of the Faded video and is currently in the position of twiddling her thumbs while she waits for the rest of the world to catch up.
- Hannah Jane Lewis has released a sparky new single called Aftershock, which is a tribute to everyone’s favourite morning tipple.
- As usual Tracey Thorn is brilliant.
- The new Chainsmokers single has some nice bits in it. Sick Boy, their last track, was quite interesting as well. Do you think that by the time their next album’s out they might have transformed into something fairly excellent? Look we’re just throwing ideas around here, nothing’s set in stone.
- Fuck knows what’s happening in the new SOPHIE song.
- And finally Muse have got a hilarious new single out. WATCH OUT GUYS THERE’S SOME THOUGHT CONTAGION!! Thank God Muse are here to make sense of the world!!! “Hey but they put on a great show, you should really see them live” — no we shouldn’t, they’ll just play a load of Muse songs.
The post New Music Friday: Kim Petras releases her first superstar single appeared first on Popjustice.
Is Tinashe season finally approaching? Joyride, the R&B star’s follow-up to her tremendous 2014 debut Aquarius, has been in limbo for years. She’s released a whole album’s worth of singles over the last few years plus an entire companion mixtape. It was fair to wonder if Joyride would ever come out, but as … More »
Tinashe and Offset released a strong new collaboration called “No Drama” this morning, but unfortunately it’s been all drama for Offset today. Nonetheless, the pair are forging ahead with the song’s official video. It’s a very good video, too, with a strikingly styled Tinashe gliding through some impressive dance moves. Watch below. More »