Let’s Eat Grandma, the UK pop duo behind last year’s Album Of The Week-worthy I’m All Ears, have shared three new tracks today that they wrote last year as the soundtrack for Dark Continents: Semiramis, an art installation by Tai Shani that was recently nominated for the prestigious Turner Prize. The … More »
Each December, in an effort to celebrate outstanding achievements and commemorate The Year That Was, the pop culture media industrial complex foists lots of lists upon the world. We here at Stereogum are party to that deluge; we shared our collective conclusions about 2018’s best albums a week ago and have been More »
They’re kids! That was the general tenor of the discussion around the UK duo Let’s Eat Grandma two years ago, when they released their debut album I, Gemini. Rosa Walton and Jenny Hollingworth met each other in a kindergarten art class in their shared hometown of Norwich, and they’ve been best friends and collaborators ever … More »
There’s pain in Let’s Eat Grandma’s new song “Ava.” The fourth single off the British teen duo’s upcoming sophomore album I’m All Ears doesn’t have the usual loud, electro-pop flair of recent tracks “Falling Into Me” and “Hot Pink.” It’s gentle but still powerful. More »
The lineup of Barcelona’s Primavera Sound Festival is always stacked. It’s one of the best-booked festivals in the world, always boasting an impressive and diverse array of headliners atop a sprawling lineup that can hold all sorts of surprises. Conflicts are, counter-intuitively, less of a topic with Primavera because at a certain point you have … More »
This new Let’s Eat Grandma album is gonna be a good one, eh? The precocious British teens have delivered some real stunners in the lead-up to June’s I’m All Ears, including the SOPHIE-produced left turn “HOT PINK” and the equally adventurous “Falling Into Me.” Today’s third single is a bit more straightforward but … More »
Notes on this week’s new releases:
- Let’s Eat Grandma hinted at something slightly amazing a few weeks ago with Hot Pink, but they’ve really pulled it out of the bag with Falling Into Me, an intense and brilliant electronic belter whose sprawling, almost girlsaloudian structure is one of this year’s most beautiful pop things.
- Sia‘s latest David Guetta collaboration, Flames, is the best thing she’s done in ages.
- Please take a moment this weekend to investigate Maja Francis‘ new EP Cry Baby (Pt 1), which includes new track Stressed plus various other excellent moments (including last year’s 9/10 I’m Not A Disco).
- Kacey Musgraves has gone a bit Daft Punk. The result is 100% BREEZY.
- E^ST‘s Blowjob is an extraordinary song with one hard-to-ignore lyric (there’s a clue in the song’s title!!) that we had trouble getting our heads around (STOP IT) before eventually arriving, late yesterday afternoon, at the decision that yes, the entire song really is undermined by the line “you just need a blowjob”, which unfairly makes it feel a bit like a gimmick single. We sort of get why it’s in there and what it’s trying to do, but there you go. Funny how two syllables can make such a difference, but we live in an age where saying “wig” briefly revived Katy Perry’s career so maybe pop’s more about detail than ever before.
- Alan Walker, who you’ll remember annoyed your dad in 2003 by ostentatiously taking his entire family on a skiing holiday, has remixed (or ‘relifted’) This Is Me off the Greatest Showman soundtrack. Readers, it is deep regret that we must report that the resulting three and a half minutes of audio are not ideal.
Subscribe to the playlist on Spotify
Housekeeping update: we won’t be using Apple Music moving forward, so all future playlist updates will only be happening on Spotify.
The post New Music Friday: all hail Let’s Eat Grandma’s miniature pop symphony appeared first on Popjustice.
Let’s Eat Grandma, the musical project of British teenagers Rosa Walton and Jenny Hollingsworth, has always taken a genre-defiant approach, but they still threw us a loop by collaborating with SOPHIE and going all-in on left-field electropop on their recent single “Hot Pink.” The band is announcing a new album called I’m All … More »