In the Backstreet Boys’ video for 1998 mega-hit “Everybody (Backstreet’s Back),” the group’s tour bus breaks down outside what turns out to be a haunted house. Reluctantly, they decide to stay the night, after which “Thriller”-style horror hijinks ensue. The boys in the band appear in costume as various kinds of ghoulish creatures. If you … More »
“I’m an R&B nigga with a hip-hop core.” That’s 6LACK, the Atlanta singer born Ricardo Valentine, on “Scripture,” a track from East Atlanta Love Letter, the #3 album in America this week. That title and 6LACK’s stage name both reference Zone 6, the crime-riddled section of East Atlanta where he grew up. If you’re among … More »
Outside Lands has revealed the 2018 lineup for its 11th installment in San Francisco’s Golden Gate Park August 10-12.
Following a fervent 2017 edition of Gorillaz, The Who, and Metallica headlining, 2018 boasts a hefty onslaught of acts, and although the headliners see earlier appearances in the festival season — The Weeknd at Coachella and Janet Jackson at both Panorama and FYF Fest — the lineup remains rife with talent and excitement.
The Weeknd is set to perform, where he’s likely to play out his recent slew of new material which features the aid of Nicolas Jaar, Daft Punk‘s Guy-Manuel de Homem-Christo, and Gesaffelstein. Both Florence + The Machine and Janet Jackson front the bill with performances that will be nothing less than excellent and the lineup also promises a plethora of beloved dance acts. From ODESZA, Chromeo, and Claptone, to DJ Snake, Jamie xx, Tycho, CHVRCHES, James Blake, Gryffin, Lauv, and Whethan, Outside Lands is a music lover’s oeuvre in its late-summer installment.
More information and tickets, which are available starting at 10 a.m. PST April 5, can be found here.
Notes on this week’s new releases:
- The whole Post Precious thing is shaping up rather nicely, right?
- This week, for the third song in a row, CHVRCHES broke the most sacred and some would say only rule of New Music Friday, with Never Say Die appearing yesterday. Yesterday, you may recall, was a Thursday. This may have been adjusted to accommodate Good Friday but the band’s behaviour will not be tolerated in the future.
- The Digital Farm Animals, Shaun Frank and Dragonette song starts off sounding like an actually-quite-good Chainsmokers song and ends up — obviously, considering the involvement of Dragonette — being amazing.
- The Hayley Kiyoko album’s out today! It is good!
- The Kate Nash album’s out today! It’s better than a 2018 Kate Nash album has any right to be!!
- The Kasey Musgraves album’s out today! It’s… Well, it seems to be going down well; bit fucking boring though let’s be honest!!!
- Lady Gaga‘s version of Your Song is very ‘Lady Gaga doing Your Song’.
- Look there’s no easy way to say this but Loleatta Holloway’s Love Sensation gets some sort of ‘treatment’ every couple of years and in 2018 the honour has fallen to Flo Rida, who’s turned it into a sort of happy-rappy Daft Punk song. That description actually makes it sound really good but words, readers, can be deceiving.
The post New Music Good Friday: Post Precious! Dragonette! CHVRCHES! appeared first on Popjustice.
The Dutch DJ sources the sonic silver lining in Lauv’s confessional single, weaving uplifting tropical tones among Lauv’s smooth verses. An island-infused chord progression contributes to the remix’s tonal metamorphosis; whereas Lauv’s slow tempo original reflectively revels in a moody melancholy, R3HAB’s rework is an uplifting take that paradoxically renders breaking up a sun soaked, effortless endeavor.
Releases like “I Like Me Better,” and the chart topping DJ Snake collaboration, “A Different Way” have birthed an unshakeable pop presence for Lauv, an artist who has come to be known for his lucid vocal tonality and earnest lyrical content.
Now, the American musician looks expand his presence with the release of his most recent single, “Getting Over You.”
An anthemic production that contemplates the experience of heartbreak, “Getting Over You” is a production that radiates a rawness of personality. An extension of the song writing style that has successfully struck a chord with Lauv’s listeners in past releases, the track’s lyrical candor provides a complementary contrast to the rich synth soundscape that renders the breakup track uplifting, in spite of its lyrical gravity.
The latest to rise to dance pop-stardom has been the California native Lauv, and as much as I hate to admit it, he has been my latest obsession as well. His vocals might be a little Shawn Mendes-eqsue and the production might be unimpressive to say the least, but his lyrics are beautiful and poetic.
The post Listen to inverness Take Lauv to the Next Level with His “Paris in the Rain” Remix appeared first on EDM Sauce.
From making beats in his Illinois bedroom to performing at EDC New York a few years ago, Inverness has caught the attention of the right people in the right places. His debut single “Working On You” not only scored a spot on Spotify‘s coveted New Music Friday playlist, but also caught wind on the Viral 50 chart, leading to official remixes for RL Grime and more.
His new remix of Lauv‘s track “Paris In The Rain” is definitely one to vibe with, as the former NYU student compliments the vocals with light claps, plucked violin samples, smooth synths, and an overall assortment of feel-good sounds. This production style is bound to turn some heads as Inverness prepares for a debut EP release later in 2018.
Dirty Audio has added a commanding bassline and an elaborate synth progression to the pop track. The LA-based producer has retained the track’s original integrity while giving it a new edge. The remix is available as a free download.
Xylophone laces the intro as the vocals are pushed to the backdrop of the track, acting as a framework for the building melody. A pulsing beat then leads to the vocals beginning again and falling into a drop full of a variety of synths and sounds.
Other than Lauv‘s vocals, Curbi’s take on the track is not reminiscent of Snake’s original, giving fans a totally new version of the work.