Watching someone who’s really, really talented do something that you’re intimately familiar with is kind of catch-22ish in nature. Like, think of an amateur basketball player watching Lebron James play in person. On the one hand, they’re probably in awe of and blown away by his supernatural abilities, but on the other hand they’re probably like, “damn… I suck at life.”
That’s kind of how I feel whenever I watch Marisa Anderson play guitar. Like, 90% of me is drawn to emotion through her sheer ability and the spirit with which she plays, but the other 10% of me just wants to go off myself with the realization that I’ll probably never be more than average at anything I do.
And that’s some heavy shit to shoulder.
Even still, I always get excited when I have the chance to see her play. I mean, I may have my cynical and (mildly) depressive tendencies (as we all do), but I’m not that much of a fucking misanthrope.
So it brings me plenty of joy to know that I’ll be having plenty of chances to go watch her up-close and in-person this summer, as Marisa has just announced a boatload of headlining North American tour dates. She’ll be kicking things off tomorrow (May 19) at Denver’s Ogden Theatre, and then playing a (very) healthy dose of West Coast shows before wrapping things up on the other side of the U.S. around the middle of July (not including a tour finale at Oregon’s Pickathon Festival August 3-5).
Godspeed You! Black Emperor will be tagging along with her for the majority of the tour (see full dates and venue locations below), but she’ll also be sharing the limelight with Joan Shelley and Sarah Louise for a few of the West Coast shows.
Announcement of the tour comes ahead of the release of Cloud Corner, which is Marisa’s debut LP on Thrill Jockey (out June 15). You can preorder the record right here and check out all the dates and locations below. Just don’t get too down on yourself when you’re standing there in the crowd this summer, moping in your own banality, okay?
Marisa Anderson tour dates:
05.19.18 – Denver, CO – Ogden Theatre *
05.21.18 – Phoenix, AZ – The Van Buren *
05.22.18 – San Diego, CA – The Observatory North Park *
05.23.18 – Los Angeles, CA – The Wiltern *
05.24.18 – Santa Ana, CA – The Observatory *
05.25.18 – Pioneertown, CA – Pappy & Harriet’s *
05.26.18 – North Folk, CA – Bandit Town *
05.28.18 – Santa Cruz, CA – Rio Theatre *
05.29.18 – Oakland, CA – Fox Theatre *
06.02.18 – Garden City, ID – Visual Arts Collective *
06.03.18 – Seattle, WA – The Neptune Theatre *
06.04.18 4 – Vancouver, BC – Vogue Theatre *
06.05.18 – Victoria, BC – Capitol Ballroom *
06.09.18 – Marquette, WI – Marquette Waterfront Festival
06.19.18 – Seattle, WA – Fremont Abbey Art Center ^
06.21.18 – Portland, OR – Mississippi Studios ^*
06.25.18 – Minneapolis, MN – 7th Street Entry w/ Circuit des Yeux
06.27.18 – Chicago, IL – Constellation #
06.28.18 – Cleveland, OH – Happy Dog #
06.29.18 – Detroit, MI – Trinosophes #
06.30.18 – Toronto, ON – Tranzac #
07.01.18 – Montreal, QC – Casa Del Popolo #
07.02.18 – Greenfield, MA – The Root Cellar
07.03.18 – Cambridge, MA – Atwood w/ Glenn Jones
07.05.18 – Philadelphia, PA – PhilaMOCA
07.08.18 – Brooklyn, NY – Union Pool w/ Tara Jane O’Neil
07.10.18 – Washington, DC – Songbyrd
07.11.18 – Raleigh, NC – Neptunes
07.12.18 – Athens, GA – Flicker Theatre
07.13.18 – Nashville, TN – Fond Object
07.14.18 – St. Louis, MO – FOAM
07.16.18 – Denver, CO – Lost Lake*
08.03.18 – 08.05.18 – Happy Valley, OR – Pickathon Festival
* Godspeed You! Black Emperor
^ Joan Shelley
# Sarah Louise