The outspoken Pendulum musician took to the internet to answer fan questions on the release day of his collaboration with deadmau5, “Monophobia.” He covered everything from unreleased tunes to current EDM trends in the Reddit ‘ask me anything.’ Read it in full here.
1. He’s not a fan of current EDM trends, particularly trap.
2. There’s a 14-year-old Swire/Sub Focus collab out there somewhere.
3. Don’t bring an urn to a show.
4. He regrets every song he’s made for some reason or another.
“Apparently I don’t share enough,” joked Mat Zo on Twitter ahead of his latest Reddit AMA. The iconic producer and proud has always has quite the cheeky sense of humor.
It hardly feels like he needs to share much at times, however, given his track record of bold, yet pristine releases that have made their way onto Anjunabeats and beyond. His ability to adopt any style — from drum ‘n’ bass, to trance — into his range with finesse while remaining grounded and good-natured has made him a household name across the dance spectrum, with many dedicated fans hungrily consuming all they can about him.
That said, Zo still shared plenty during his brief stop at Reddit, divulging details about upcoming music, offering advice and lessons he’s learned through his time in the industry, sharing his favorite Beatles song, and more.
DA has sifted through the pile and picked out the most insightful and intriguing factoids.
He believes dance music is cyclical.
Fresh Kill The Zo is on the way
We heavily agree with his Beatles pick – how ’bout you?
A poignant memory…
ALERT!! He’s working on a third album.
Working with vocalists physically and through email both have their pros and cons.
It’s better not to try and force inspiration
Avoid this common error.
His house inspirations include Junior Jack and Cassius.
2016 has been a momentous year for the brilliant and multi-faceted producer that is Mat Zo. In the span of 9 months, he’s launched a forum for aspiring producers, conquered the sophomore album slump with Self Assemble, and signed The M Machine onto his Mad Zoo imprint for their upcoming album release. His momentum is hardly slowing down as the year comes to a close — Zo recently unveiled his 3-piece Mad EP, which serves as yet another eclectic and intelligently-written addition to his vast repertoire.
Having just kicked off his fall tour across North America, he donated some personal time with fans in the form of a Reddit AMA. Having combed the list of questions, we’ve compiled 10 things we learned from Mat Zo’s AMA.
The M Machine album will likely see a release next year. Hopefully more Kill The Zo as well.
2. There is definitely potential for another Porter Robinson collaboration. However, a new Arty collaboration is widely unlikely.
3. Mat Zo is a huge Noisia fan, and dreams of a collaboration with them when he’s ready musically to do so.
4. Making 4/4 music is becoming increasingly difficult creatively, as he continues to delve deeper into a left-field, drum ‘n’ bass type of direction.
5. Interestingly, Mat Zo feels inspired to write tracks that contrast with his inner emotions.
6. He ended his Mat Zo Mix series due to creative exhaustion.
7. When feeling stuck, he steps away to refresh his mind rather than trying to force new musical ideas into his head.
8. As far as plugins go, he believes Izotope and Fab Filter deserve more attention.
9. Ironically, one of the best things to happen to him was having his music stolen.
10. He’s given actual thought to the “Mad Zoo” concept.